Chilly nights call for chili dinners. This lean turkey chili is packed with protein, fibre and flavour! It will definitely fill you and warm you up from the inside out!
Prep Time: 15 minute Cook Time: 30-45 minutes Total Time: 60 minutes Serves: 8-10
- 450 g lean ground turkey
- 1 bottle (680 mL) tomato sauce, plain
- 1 can (796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (540 mL x 2) red kidney beans, rinsed well
- 1 can (398 mL) brown beans, in tomato sauce
- 1 green, yellow or red pepper, chopped
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 2-3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced (or 1 can mushrooms (284 mL), rinsed well)
- 3-4 tbsp chili powder
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- pinch of cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- In large pot, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add turkey and cook until no longer pink.
- Add onion and celery and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, red kidney beans, brown beans, mushrooms, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, dried oregano, and cayenne. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Once chili starts to boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Approximately 15 minutes into the 30 minute simmer, add the cut peppers. If you add them too soon, they may become too soft.
- Periodically taste the chili to determine if you need more cayenne pepper, making sure not to burn your tongue either with the heat of the chili or the heat of the pepper!
- After the chili has simmered, and is flavoured to you liking, let the chili cool and serve with fresh bread or freshly baked cheese biscuits.
With love from my kitchen to yours, Bon Appétit!